Though its basic functionality works the way it should, the software is still in an early stage of development, which is why I have called it the Beta Version. Below is a list of some of the known bugs with the program.
- Sometimes when you load an Excel file the program “forgets” to ask you which sheet to use, which will cause a program error if you attempt to click the play button. Simply loading the file again should bring up the sheet name option.
- The output Shapefile format cannot have any “period” (“.”) marks in it. If you are to manually change the automatically assigned output name in the “Save As” option and insert a period mark in the filename then the output file may fail to be saved.
- Loading or georeferencing many files in many different modes in one sitting may cause a program error. Loading your file again or restarting the program should fix the problem.
- If you attempt to remove the required country and location names from the output using the “keepfields” option, the program will automatically add them either way, but this feature is not currently working correctly and will result in wrong values being written to wrong fields. Therefore it is recommended not to remove the required fields.
- When georeferencing places from historical countries and cultural regions that used to encompass multiple present-day countries (e.g. Yugoslavia) the match results will often cluster in only the first country listed in the program’s lookup definition because that was the order the names were added to the list. Be therefore particularly attentive to the quality match scores for such multi-country results.
- The inconsistency measure and alternate names listings still has some quirks. The alternate ones it finds for fuzzies are only the other similarly matching ones to the original name, not including direct/exact duplicates of the best fuzzy match.
- The math ratio score for less-than-perfect fuzzy match ratio may be listed as being lower than the threshold you initially set. However, this is only because the match ratio field is calculated with a slightly different (stricter) method than the fuzzy name match filtering process.
If you discover any additional bugs or errors just email me or leave a reply at the bottom of this page so I can address them in future updates. Also feel free to contact me if you have any questions, suggestions, or feedback, and I will do my best to follow up 🙂