New bugfix version 0.2.1 now available. Download here or from the download page.
Bugs that have been fixed in this newest version:
- Province geocoding had stopped working, due to the GADM province data releasing a new version and changing their urls.
- USGS placename file and country code for Mauritius was previously missing.
Thanks to the various users for finding and reporting these bugs!
A new version 0.2 is now out and ready for download. New features include:
- Reads many more dataformats: including any type of .txt or .csv delimited files, as well as .dbf files, Stata .dta files, and SPSS .sav files.
- City mode is now better at correctly geocoding famous cities, by first checking the Natural Earth cities dataset before either GNS or GeoNames.
- After city mode is finished geocoding it asks if the user wants to visually edit and correct potentially faulty geocodes from the result on a map that can be zoomed and panned.
- Province mode will no longer visualize the provinces it has geocoded, but in turn this makes it faster and allows it to handle larger datasets without overloading from memory error.
- Slightly new visual design with different colors and icons.
Although this website is about the Easy Georeferencer software, the reason I made the program in the first place was to help and make it easier for people who want to geocode their data. So for the sake of transparency and to help people who are new to georeferencing to know their options I have now added a new page that contains an introduction and overview to different types of georeferencing softwares and alternatives that they can turn to. You can find the overview of georeferencing alternatives by clicking on the “Other Geocoders” link in the top menu.
I just changed and updated the tutorial to be more user-friendly. The tutorial is now on the website and divided into four different sections:
- Optimizing your dataset
- How to use the program
- Which settings to use
- What to do with the results
The easiest way to use the program is just to download and try it, but the tutorial will give you the tips and tricks on how to master and get the most out of it. So if you want some solid tips on how to best use Easy Georeferencer check out the new tutorial page.
Looks like the download link to the Easy Georeferencer program wasn’t working for the first few days. It was just a simple typo error, and the link is now fixed; this time I have personally tested that it works. Sorry if this caused one of those “yet-another-broken-site” frustrating moments 😛
You can find the now-fixed download link under the Download page.
Here goes the official launch of the Easy Georeferencer software homepage. Either go straight ahead to download the program, or read more about how this free and easy-to-use geocoding software makes it possible for you to view your data (Excel or txt files) on a map. New versions of the program will be announced here on the blog.